Banana Blueberry Muffins
Makes 15 muffinsThis recipes uses coconut oil, a healthy alternative to the hydrogenated fats and butter found in many baked goods.
2 tablespoons coconut flour
2 tablespoons cream of rice cereal
¼ cup modified tapioca starch, optional
3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup organic sugar
1 cup fresh blueberries*
2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
1 cup warm coconut milk (mix well before measuring)
2 medium-large ripe bananas, mashed
- Cinnamon sugar or organic unsweetened shredded coconut, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease muffin tins or use muffin liners and lightly spray with cooking oil.
2. Mix together gluten-free flour blend, coconut flour, cream of rice, modified tapioca starch, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and sugar.
3. Gently fold in blueberries.
4. Make a well in the batter and pour in coconut oil, coconut milk and mashed banana. Blend but don’t over-mix.
5. Pour batter into prepared muffin tins. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or shredded coconut, if desired.
6. Bake about 20 minutes until muffin tops are golden and a sharp paring knife inserted in center comes out clean and hot to the touch.
7. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.
TIP Not crazy about coconut? Replace coconut flour with rice bran or gluten-free oat flour. Replace coconut oil with vegetable oil or margarine of choice. Replace coconut milk with milk of choice.
*TIP You can also use frozen blueberries. Don’t defrost before adding to recipe